Hardwood floors are one of the most beautiful features in a home when properly maintained and cared for. The following is the step-by-step process for giving those floors an amazing new shine.
Step #1- PREPARATION
- Remove EVERYTHING from the area being refinished. Furniture, plants, rugs, pets, etc.. Everything must go.
- Hang plastic sheeting to separate the working area from the rest of the house. Things get pretty dusty in Step #2. You’ve been warned.
- Order Abothane 8003-3™ from www.abatron.com and make sure it arrives before starting your project.
- Visit your local hardware store or rent-a-center to gather the rest of your supplies:
- The drum sander and edge sander pictured below are both rentals. You’ll also want to load up on sandpaper. This project utilized 20 grit, 36 grit, 80 grit, and 220 grit.
- Wood stain- choose your preferred color.
- Lambswool pads for applying the stain and the Abothane 8003-3.
- An organic vapor mask or respirator is also recommended for use with Abothane.
- Tack-cloths for making sure everything is dust-free.
Step #2- SAND, SAND, SAND
- Start with the 20 grit paper and get to work, removing the existing finish and the majority of the stain.
- Switch to the 36 grit and repeat.
- Finish with the 80 grit and then sweep, vacuum and wipe up any dust produced by the sanding.
Step #3- STAIN
- This project used Minwax Red Oak 215. Rub on the stain using the lambswool applicator pads, working in small enough sections so that any excess can be wiped off with cotton rags. Be sure not to stain yourself into a corner.
- Once dry- vacuum, dust, or wipe the floor completely clean with a tack cloth.
Step #4- APPLY SOME SERIOUS SHINE & PROTECTION
- Spread on the Abothane 8003-3, using additional lambswool applicator pads.
- Wait 4-6 hours for the product to cure and then lightly scuff the coating, using the 220 grit sandpaper. Be sure to sweep, vacuum, or wipe up any dust created from the scuffing and then repeat the coating process.
- Four coats of Abothane 8003-3 were applied to this particular project and as you can see, the floor now shines in stunning fashion!
Click HERE for more information on Abatron’s complete line of protective coatings.